Years in Technology: 20
Current Title: Director, Product Marketing
Current Organization: AppDirect
1. Why did you join the technology industry?
This is a fast-moving industry that has a real and significant impact on customers.
2. Who is the person who has inspired you professionally?
My father. His work ethic and his value of the human element at work. When I first moved to Toronto to manage a team of people, his advice was invaluable. “Remember these things: You are there as a manager to remove roadblocks for your team. If they didn’t have roadblocks, they wouldn’t need you. Remember their birthdays and corporate anniversary dates. Those are important to them and they should be important to you.” This advice has stuck with me throughout my career.
3. If you could give one piece of advice to your 13-year-old self what would it be?
You don’t realize yet that you can be a leader. Lead by way of example and don’t be afraid of your own voice.
4. How do you think we can encourage more women in tech?
You don’t need to be an engineer to work in tech. You need to be passionate, driven and ask a lot of questions to learn. Woman should be inspired by tech and not intimidated…
5. What is the best part of your job?
Taking complex topics and simplifying them. Don’t try to outsmart your audience. Inspire them…